This is one of those dishes which was mainly available in the bazaars served at roadside cafes, but now even the Five Star Hotels in Delhi are serving Tikkas. In India it would be prepared in a Tandoor (Indian clay oven) but one can do this in an ovens or on a barbecue.
- 1Kg Lamb leg/shoulder cut in 1 inch cubes
- 100 gms Yogurt
- 2 tsf Garlic paste
- 2 tsf Ginger paste
- 3 tsf Coriander powder
- 1 tsf Garam Masala
- 1 tsf Salt
- 1/4 Chilli powder
- Juice of 1 Lime
- Handful of fresh Coriander
- 3 tbsf Oil
- 1 Onion sliced (Optional)
- 1 Red/green peppers
- In a large mixing bowl mix garlic, ginger, coriander powder, garam masala, salt and lime juice with the yogurt.
- Add the lamb pieces in the marinade, coat them throughly. Cover and put it in the fridge for at least 4 hours (I generally leave it overnight).
- Thread the lamb on skewers (soaked in water). One can add pieces of onion and pepper for added flavour.
- Coat the lamb with oil generously.
- Get the BBQ going well before laying the skewers for cooking. (One can also do it in an oven, heat the oven at 200⁰ C and lay the lamb pieces in a single row in a oven tray and cook till lamb is tender, will need to turn and baste halfway).
- Garnish the lamb with fresh coriander leaves and serve with mint raita.