Saturday 1 February 2014

Afgani Chicken Tikka


I was introduced Afgani Chicken way back in 1970’s by my best friend and my cousin Yogesh. Unfortunately, he passed away just over a year ago. This entry is in his memory. Yogesh was a brilliant host and often gave lavish parties especially when I visited India. He had a chef, Heera (literally translated it means Diamond) who created lovely Mughlai dishes and this was one our favourite starters and this recipe was given to me by him.Since my interest in cooking I have slightly tweaked the recipe to give that extra flavour. As I write I will indicate the extra bits as optional.
Ingredients:

  • 4 Chicken thigh (I use thigh as opposed to breast because the thigh meat is more succulent. I cut them lengthwise) cut into small tikka sized pieces
    Afgani Chicken
  • 4 tbsf of Yogurt
  • 5-6 cloves of Garlic crushed
  • 1-2 inches of Ginger crushed (optional) 
  • 1 tsf Sea salt
  • 12-15 Peppercorns coarsely crushed
  • 2 inch Cinnamon stick crushed (optional)
  • 2-3 tbsf Olive oil

Method:

  1. In a bowl mix all ingredients except the chicken pieces and 2 tsf of oil.
  2. Now add the chicken pieces and rub the marinade well, ensuring covering the folds of the muscle belly. Leave it in the fridge or a cool place for at least 4 hours.
  3. About 30 minutes before serving lay the chicken pieces on a baking tray. 
  4. With a brush apply oil on the chicken pieces.
  5. Now put the tray with chicken pieces in a preheated oven (temp 200F). Cook for 25 mins turning the pieces a couple of times during cooking.
  6. Take the chicken out and garnish with some fresh coriander leaves.
I have not been disappointed serving this dish for anyone! 

No comments:

Post a Comment