I was lucky to be in Maharashtra in the winter time, when the fields around were lush with mustard and vegetable fields in between the cotton plantations. The vendors displayed the freshest vegetables straight from the fields, so we picked all kinds of vegetables.
After the success with the breakfast, Ranjana started to chop the cabbage and told us that she would give us bandh gobi, potatoes and peas Marathi style for lunch. Normally she was instructed to cook in the North Indian style for my North Indian host. That day she was demonstrating for my benefit so she could cook in her own Marathi style, which gave her great pleasure.
- ½ Cabbage (Bandh Gobi) chopped small
- 2 Tomatoes chopped
- 1 cup of Green Peas
- 3 small Potatoes cut length wise into thin slices.
- ½ tsf Mustard seeds
- 1 tsf Salt
- 3-4 Green chillis cut length wise
- ½ tsf Haldi
- 2-3 tbsf Oil
|Bandh Gobi Potatoes and Peas|
- In a thick wok heat the oil. Add Mustard seeds.
- As soon as the mustard seeds start to sizzle add green chillis and fry for 1 minute.
- Add cut potatoes and fry for approximately 5 minutes.
- Add peas and fry for 1-2 minutes.
- Add chopped Bandh gobi and tomatoes and mix.
- Add salt and turmeric powder and again mix well.
- Cover and cook for 10-15 minutes or till the poatoes and peas are cooked.