Chickpeas or Chole as we north indians call them are one of the favourite roadside market food. It is so popular that a number of vendors have become multimillionaires. one or two places i know in delhi which serve the likes of president of india and bollywood stars when they are visiting delhi. there are so many recipes of making chole which are usually served with bhatura. here i have tried to copy my favourite vendor sita ram divan chand’s style. we are not going to try the bhaturas but have ch0le with indian bread. i will admit that i cheat using Shan’s chana masala, with which one gets a very similar result as when i have used the separate ingredients some of which are rarely used. this is an easy dish and you should get it right most of the times.
3 tins of chickpeas
2 tea bag
Pinch of Asafoetida
4 tbsf of oil
Shan’s chana masala
1 onions sliced
- Heat the oil in a wok or frying pan
- When the oil is hot add the asafoetida and let it sizzle, usually a minute or so.
- Put the chickpeas with its water in the pan, keeping the pan on medium to high heat.
- Add approx 5-6 tsf of chana masala and the tea bags and mix well. Ensure that the tea bag doesn't open up. Bring it to a boil and then lower the heat to low and let the choles to cook till they are very tender. Usually it takes 1 1/2 hours but today we will make it in a pressure cooker and it should take about 1/2 hour.
- When serving garnish it with freshly sliced onions.