Dill or Suva as it is known in India is a seasonal green grown in the heart of India. Though it is not as popular a green as Fenugreek, Spinach or Coriander, it is however, as tasty an additive which can be added to various vegetables and dals. It is more popular in Bihar and UP.
This is one vegetable which can be prepared very quickly. Good one to add on to the main dishes when someone comes unexpectedly. That doesn't mean it is not nice. If your guests haven't had it it before it could be a guessing game and topic of conversation over dinner!
- 250 gms Potatoes chopped into small pieces
- A bunch of Suva, chopped coarsely
- A pinch of Asafoetida (Hing)
- 3 Whole dried red Chillis
- ¾ tsf Salt to taste
- ½ tsf Turmeric powder (Haldi)
- ½ tsf chilli powder
- 3 tbsf Oil
- Heat the oil in a wok over medium heat.
- Add Asafoetida and red dry chillis and brown till the chillis are dark brown and crisp. We call this step as ‘Chonk’ in hindi.
- Add the potatoes and cook till they are half cooked.
- Add the chopped suva and mix well with the potatoes.
- Add chilli powder and turmeric powder and cover the wok and cook till the the potatoes are done.
- Uncover the wok and cook to dry the vegetable.